'Tracing The Spirit' commission 2020
I have been awarded a Tracing The Spirit commission from the Nordic Summer University (NSU) to celebrate their 70th anniversary and trace the spread of Nordic values around the world. My commission is to produce a modest edition of an artist's book in response to the NSU archives. I will present the book at the 70th anniversary event in Norway in summer 2020 and will also be showing it at artists' book fairs throughout 2020/21. I also plan to seek out collections and institutions to place copies into.
The book will be a collaboration between myself and three other artists, all of whom have links to Denmark. Two of the artists are already confirmed: Megan Adie (Aviary Press) and Jens Jørgen Hansen.
** Could you be our final collaborator?
** Are you a letterpress printer/artist with a link to Denmark?
Here are the key points to note:
- I have already visited the Danish National Archives to research the NSU materials held there. (See slideshow to the right.)
- The collaborators will discuss a curated selection of the material before each responding personally in the form of a print or set of prints.
- You must be a letterpress printer with experience of, and access to, a cylinder proof press (Eickhoff, Vandercook, FAG, Korrex or similar) and metal and/or wood type. This is because we will each be creating SRA3 format (32cm x 45cm) prints in an edition of around 40. (There is also the possibility to create further sheets of 'ephemera' at alternate sizes/orientations.)
- You must have a link to Denmark. For example; you were born there, live there now, once studied/worked there or have family there.
- The project values experimentation and an expressive approach.
- There is an honorarium of 500 euros available and all materials and postage costs will be borne by the project.
- Please complete the form below by 31st December 2019 at 23:59.
- Early January 2020: selected artist/printer informed.
- Early-mid January 2020: collaborators will discuss the NSU materials via email/Skype/shared online drive. General approach agreed.
- March 2020: prints are complete and sent to me.
- June 2020: prints collated and bound into the final book.
- July/August 2020: book presented at NSU summer event.
The online links can be to your website, a Google drive, Dropbox or video. Whatever you would like to send to give examples of your recent work.
Any further questions? Contact me. I look forward to seeing your application!
David Armes, UK; 2019